Sign language students gain experience in deaf community

It has been proven that the best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in the culture and be left to your own devices.

Wichita State American Sign Language students attempt to immerse themselves in the deaf culture every month.

A group of sign language majors meets once a month at a west-side Arby’s with some of the area’s deaf population to hone their skill and mastery of the language.

“Students that actively participate love it,” said Kathy Stewart, assistant director of the Office of Disability Services. “Once they take the plunge and start trying to sign with someone, they find it is worth the effort.”

Some people in the deaf population volunteer their time to work with the students, as they recognize the importance of these students’ development.

“Students have come back to tell me they were scared to start with,” Stewart said. “Then they realized the deaf people are only there to help them practice.”

Madison Meyer is a senior learning American Sign Language.

“Getting to work with deaf people early in my language development was crucial to me,” Meyer said. “It is a good way to see where you stand with your understanding of true ASL.”

Many students return every month to see how they have improved, Stewart said.

“It’s a very non-threatening environment,” Stewart said. “Many of the students that have tried it once usually go back again. It’s a great sign that people are finding it to be a fun way to learn more about ASL and the deaf culture.”

All students are welcome to come to Arby’s on 21st and Ridge on the last Friday of every month to practice their ASL signing and comprehensions.