Humans outlast the zombies in epic tag game

In the final day of competition, Wichita State junior Anthony Shaw and his team were beat, drenched in sweat and tired after being chased by zombies.

The game is called Humans vs. Zombies. It’s an event that has been taking place on campus for the past few days. In the event’s final day, students upped the intensity for the final round.

“This was a fun event,” Shaw said, bent over, drenched in sweat. “I enjoyed it a lot. This game is great because it tests your teamwork capabilities as well as your physical capabilities. Capture the flag was pretty cool, too. Being able to strategize and work, as a team is a great thing.”

The game consists of two teams — humans and zombies — and between those two teams are sets of games they all play. Two of the more popular games were capture the flag and the traditional game of tag.

Tyler Bird, the director of the event, said he was pleased with how everything went, but said it can always get better.

“The nice thing about this game is that it gives students an opportunity to have a little fun on campus,” Bird said. “Students get to actually run around places on campus that they don’t typically get to see. This is our seventh round doing this event at WSU. This is the third one that I participated in. It seems to have been decent. On a scale of one to 10 I’d give it a seven.”

The game starts with one original zombie, who is supposed to tag as many humans as possible. And if in the end all of the humans are tagged, then the game is finished — the zombies win. Otherwise, the humans win it.

“The original idea of the game came from a group of people that thought of a great, ingenious way of tag quite a few years back,” Bird said. “They actually have all of their stuff online. That’s where we got our idea.”

The end of the event announced the humans as winners, as they outlasted the onslaught by the group of zombies dressed in bandanas and flags.

“I love this game because it’s an interactive, physical game that only those who believe will win,” senior John Nola said as he was raising his hands in victory. It’s all in the heart.”