Preparing for 4th of July

Pool parties, friends and family and barbecues — no M-80s explosives for Wichita State students this Fourth of July.

With the July 4th holiday coming up, several students living off campus are planning parties and BBQs. Unlike a typical Fourth of July fireworks won’t be the source of amusement.

“I don’t have any spectacular plans,” junior Samuel Glomstad Foster said. “I’m going to have a few people over for food. We’re going to have brats, hot dogs, hamburgers, and things like that. No illegal fireworks this time; can’t afford those.”

The drought in Kansas doesn’t appear to effect WSU students’ plans. Many say the holiday is a welcomed break.

Junior Jon Martin said in years past, he and his family would sit on the back of their deck watching firework shows, while watching the rest of the family in his neighborhood do the same.

He would rather be making his own fireworks.

“I like to make my own fireworks by cutting open several mortar shells and filling up a water bottle with gun powder and run a fuse down the middle of the lid and duct tape the bottle,” Martin said.

Sophomore Andrew Howell hasn’t even considered making any plans yet. He said he does not spend much money on fireworks. Although in the past, he has met up with family on his dad’s side to drink and tell stories.

Some students that are not from Kansas have said they plan to go back to their home state and celebrate with their families.

“After not seeing my family for quite some time I’m actually looking forward to seeing them,” senior James Posey said.

“I’m originally from Jacksonville, Florida. I’m from a close family of many traditions. I can’t wait to eat all the great food and light fireworks, my dad gets all the best explosives.”