WSU de-stresses with Pet-a-Pug

Finals week at Wichita State University is right around the corner. As students frantically study for exams and put together final projects, the Student Activities Council wanted to help the campus de-stress. They decided the best way to destress was with puppies.

“I think this whole semester, I’ve just been really stressed and, especially coming on finals, it’s nice that WSU offers so many activities,” student Breonna Joiner said.

SAC partnered with Wichita’s 11th hour rescue Beauties and Beasts to bring Bella Rose to campus. Bella Rose is a two-year-old pitbull currently in the shelter’s foster system. After being abandoned by her former owners, this her second time joining the foster list. Beauties and Beasts saved Bella Rose. She was less than two days from being euthanized at her local dog shelter.

Jumping on students, receiving belly rubs and listening to laughter during their hectic week of finals, gave Bella Rose even more energy and was heartwarming for the WSU community.

“It’s helping students’ mental health,” Beauties and Beasts worker Lauren Giroux said. “Dogs and mental health just go together. Also, it’s bringing awareness to our rescue.”

Beauties and Beasts was founded in 2014 by Randi Carter. In the past seven years, the company has saved over 2,000 animals from death row and networked out 1,100. Carter has gone on to receive awards from the Humane Society of the United States for her work on the Puppy Mills Campaign.

All work done voluntarily and Beauties and Beasts only accepts donations. Their purpose is to serve as a voice for mistreated and abandoned animals. The corporation wishes to bring positivity into these animals’ lives.

Beauties and Beasts are currently looking for animal foster parents. The application is listed on their website. Duties include, but are not limited to sharing your home and properly feeding and medication the animals. The shelter also pays for all vet and medical appointments.

SAC partners with Beauties and Beasts once a month. The last Wednesday of each month, the graduate student council offers puppy days to help relieve stress, throughout the semester.

For the remainder of finals week, SAC will be offering a late night breakfast Thursday from 9 p.m. until 11:00 p.m. They are also encouraging students to attend the baseball and softball matchups throughout the weekend.