Festival to showcase ‘eclecticism’ in dance

Shelby Bredehoeft and her classmates prepare for the Kansas Dance Festival which is happening Friday, November 22nd and Saturday November 23rd at 7:30pm inside the Wilner Auditorium. Tickets are $10, $8, $6, and for WSU students it’s free with a student ID.

There is nothing more valuable than broadening who you are, said Nicholas Johnson, Wichita State director of dance.

The WSU community will have the chance to do this at the Kansas Dance Festival Friday and Saturday evening.

“Some people think that they don’t understand dance,” Johnson said. “They won’t know they would like it until they go.”

WSU students will share the stage with students from Kansas State University, University of Kansas, Friends University and University of Nebraska.

The festival is a combination of various kinds of dance, including ballet, modern and jazz.

“We have been well trained by our professors, and it shows in our performances,” WSU senior Shelby Bredehoeft said. “People like to see the eclecticism of Wichita State contemporary dance theater. This show will be very fun to watch, and professional.”

Original pieces created by WSU dance faculty will also be performed. 

“Every faculty member has a piece in the show,” Johnson said. “We also share the stage with other schools, but we want to make the show primarily about the students.”

The festival will also showcase the technical aspects of bringing a show to life.

“I think people will be really excited to see the spectacular lighting and technical proficiency that we have to offer at WSU,” Bredehoeft said.

During the day of the performances, the Dance Department will offer classes to the community for free. Before the festival on Friday, faculty from other schools will teach classes.

Wichita State dance instructor, Sabrina Vasquez, wants the event to help the community gain an appreciation for dance.

“I hope people can see the athleticism and the beauty of this art form and appreciate the kind of dances being presented,” Vasquez said. “There is a little bit of modern, ballet and contemporary dances for those who enjoy watching the show, ‘So You Think You Can Dance.’ I hope people can see how fierce our dance department is.”

The festival takes place at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday in Wilner Auditorium.