Shocker softball ends fall season undefeated

Last Saturday, the Wichita State Shocker softball team played the Coffeyville Ravens and the Johnson County Cavaliers at Wilkins Stadium.

Against the Ravens, the Shockers won with an 18-0 victory. Against the Cavaliers, the Shockers squeezed by with a 4-3 win.

In the first game, the Shockers jumped ahead early with a 5-0 lead at the end of the first inning. A solo homerun by sophomore outfielder Brittany Fortner and an RBI fly to left field by senior outfielder Molly Baker increased WSU’s lead to 7-0 in the second inning.

A fly to left by senior shortstop Ali Vandever allowed freshman shortstop and second baseman Kelli Spring to score and a line drive up the middle by junior catcher Melanie Jaegers brought sophomore third baseman Paige Mason in. Junior utility player Brianne Bond then hit a fly ball to centerfield allowing Jaegers to score and giving the Shockers a 10-0 lead to start the fourth inning.

RBI’s from Baker and Mason extended the Shocker lead to 12-0 in the fourth inning. During the final inning of the game, Bond hit the ball into the right field followed by walks by freshman utility player Ashley Johnson and sophomore utility player Cacy Williams. Freshman first baseman Macklin Hitz hit a fly into the outfield and Spring scored and freshman utility player Michelle Dixon kissed one up the middle allowing two more runs from Johnson and Williams. WSU finished the game with a stunning 18-0 lead after hits by Mason and Vandever.

In the second game, the Cavaliers scored first with a run in the third inning, but Fortner answered the Johnson County run with an RBI tying the game 1-1.

The fourth inning saw hits by freshman utility player Paige Luellen and Jaegers giving the game a 3-1 Shocker lead. A line drive to left field in the fifth by the Cavaliers tied the game 3-3. With no answer from Wichita State, the game was pushed into extra innings.

A drive to left in the ninth by Broyles, followed by an RBI from Dixon ended the game, Wichita State, 4, Johnson County, 3.

These games finished Wichita State’s fall season with an undefeated record and the Shockers begin their spring season in February.