Freshman basketball player hospitalized

On Tuesday evening, freshman basketball player D.J. Bowles was rushed to the hospital after collapsing during a scrimmage. The 911 call came in at 6:13 p.m. It was unknown at the time what caused the player to pass out.

“I want to commend athletic trainer Todd Fagan, our athletic training staff and emergency medical personnel for quick and professional response exhibited in dealing with D.J.’s situation,” athletic director Eric Sexton stated in a press release.

Upon arriving at Via Christi on St. Francis, Bowles was in stable condition and alert.

“I visited D.J. this morning,” Sexton said. “He is in stable condition and will have a number of tests today. We may not know much more until we receive the results of the tests.”

According to the Wichita Eagle, Bowles is scheduled to go through two tests at the hospital to find the cause of the blackout. It is unknown when Bowles will return to the court.

“All of our thoughts go out to D.J., his family and our men’s basketball program,” Sexton said.

Bowles joined the Shockers this season, coming from Chattanooga, Tenn. He is a 6-foot-2, 175-pound freshman guard from Oldsmar Christian School in Oldsmar, Fla.

The university has asked for the public to respect the privacy of Bowles, the student-athletes, coaches and staff throughout this time.