SGA shows support for ‘Marshallville’

“Marshallville” is one step closer to reality. The vision is a designated area outside Charles Koch Arena south entrance for Shocker fans to congregate and possibly tailgate before sporting events.

WSU sophomore and non-SGA officer Max Runyon wrote and proposed a resolution to the Student Government Association Senate at last Wednesday’s meeting.

He is requesting SGA’s support for what he calls “Marshallville.”

The area would be dedicated to WSU Men’s head basketball coach Gregg Marshall.

“I was really trying to think of ways to try to get Wichita State students more involved on campus,” Runyon said. “Sporting events are one way to really try to get the student body gathered together.”

Because SGA serves as the liaison between students and the university administration, Runyon said this is the first step toward getting school officials on board.

SGA support is paramount because they represent the student body.

“Student Government is a really good voice for the students,” Runyon said. “It makes me feel better that the student body as a whole really agrees with the idea.”

A social media campaign has allowed Runyon to garner positive feedback from students.

Runyon hopes that “Marshallville” can give WSU fans a more traditional college experience and get away from the reputation as a “commuter school.”

The resolution for “Marshallville” passed unanimously at last week’s meeting.

The name itself is subject to change and is not mentioned in the body of the resolution. Runyon said he would like to see the name stay.

Eight new Senators were sworn in last week.

Mariah Smith was designated to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Chelsea Willams was assigned to the College of Health Professions. Ciara Putnam will represent freshmen. Dalton Glasscock, Tyler Gegen, Aidan Cattermole, Ali Raza and Jonathan Dennill were assigned to at-large senator positions.

The newly created Inquiry and Oversight Committee gave its first report. Members answered questions about the alleged illegality of a funding bill passed during the summer to fund a new intramural field.

The committee report found that because there are no by-laws explicitly prohibiting funding bills being passed during the summer, the action was actually “extralegal” and not “illegal.”

To help define “extralegal,” Chairman of the Oversight and Inquiry committee Brandon James said that it’s simply outside of the normal operations, but not specifically prohibited.

James also said that the justification behind the bill came from the university administration requesting the funds as well.

“It came down on SGA,” James said. “The way we (SGA) were originally designed to do things is by being given a directive from the top.”

SGA President Darren Beckham said that the university administration did not demand the money, but did request it.

“I believe moving forward, we need to make a decision on whether the process of how it came down is an OK way,” James said. “That needs to be something decided by the Senate as a whole.”

James hopes that a resolution will be considered tonight in order to show full senate support for the funding bill.