Resolution to support summer funding bill failed

On Wednesday. the Student Government Association saw a resolution created to show full senate support for a funding bill passed over the summer.

The Senate voted against the resolution with a 15-13 vote.

The resolution states that the summer senate was the body that passed the bill, but not all members had the opportunity to vote on the bill.

After the release of an oversight report from the interim oversight and inquiry Committee, the committee presented a resolution to Senate.

The resolution was created in order to show full senate support for the allocated student fees funding bill passed over the summer.

Brandon James, Interim Chairman of the Oversight and Inquiry Committee, was a holdover senator from summer session. He said he had no knowledge of the funding bill until the fall semester began.

“If we want to be a credible organization, we can’t pass resolutions that say we followed a process that we didn’t follow,” SGA Senator Marcus McNeal said. “Not only did we lie, but we documented a lie.”

summer Senate was technically not the body that passed the bill.

Senator Marcus McNeal said he voted against the resolution because of an inaccuracy on Senate members attending the summer session. He said that he supports what the money paid for and would have voted in favor of the resolution if it were corrected to acknowledge that summer Senate was technically not the body that passed the bill.

James admits that he didn’t know that the funding bill technically passed summer senate and thanked the senators who stood up for the fact that he didn’t get a vote.

James also said that although the resolution failed, he agreed with the Senate in what they said during discussion.

“I don’t think the Senate thinks anything is illegal and I don’t think they disagreed with the content of [the funding bill]. I think they just disagreed with the way FB067 was procedurally done.”

The interim Oversight and Inquiry Committee, which sponsored the resolution, made it known that they were displeased with the process within their report. James said that senate chose to focus on the procedure instead of supporting the good will of the executives.

“When [this resolution] passed the committee for sponsorship, the talk wasn’t necessarily on the procedural aspect of it, but on the aspect of whether it was well intended or not,” James said. “It failed [in Senate] because people didn’t agree with the procedure and I fully support that decision.”

Besides presenting a resolution to Senate, the interim Oversight and Inquiry Committee also wanted to amend the Legislative Journal. These amendments would allow the summer senate to pass allocated student fees funding bills during the summer.

The amendments went through their first read and round of questions last Wednesday. They will be further debated and either pass or fail Wednesday.

SGA also passed a $1,775 funding bill providing travel funds to four individuals.

The administration also swore in a new Fine Arts Senator and approved many executive appointments in SGA’s standing committees, various university committees and faculty senate committees.