WSU Shocker racing gets ready to rev up

A formula SAE racing car built by the WSU shocker racing team to compete in the world wide formula SAE competitions.

The Shocker racing team is preparing for its sixth year of competition as a formula SAE team.

Shocker Racing is a Wichita State student organization that dedicates every year to the fabrication, engineering, and testing of a small racecar used in competitions.

It was founded in 2006 and this year is no different.

Formula SAE is a worldwide engineering competition sponsored by the Society of Automotive Engineers that prepares students for real world experiences through problem solving, management and communication according to the team’s web site.

Project Engineer Keith Schmutz said with the summer lull, there are currently 14 active members, but the team typically peaks with around 30 members, mostly engineering students, during the school year.

Any degree-seeking student is allowed to join. In fact, team representative Chad Goings encourages more non-engineering students to join.

“We really want to see more electrical engineers and more non-engineering students come because they might have a different outlook on something,” Goings said.

Team members work on a volunteer basis, helping out when and where they can to prepare the car each year, according to competition rulebook guidelines.

The Student Government Association (SGA) gives some money to the organization, Schmutz said. Shocker Racing relies on sponsors, donations and holds fundraisers to raise more money.

The team started out building cars on a two-year schedule, but is now working toward a one-year schedule.

The team is doing a lot of design and maintenance on this year’s car but will kick into high gear soon as they start building the car for this year’s competitions.