Pumpkin Run at Wichita State encourages return to athleticism

Participants of the 5k Pumpkin Run on Oct. 21 begin the race chaperoned by WuShock. $1 from each registration went to the Shocker Support Locker, a campus resources for students, faculty and staff.

Athletes, giant pumpkins and WuShock himself were just a few of the many characters that participated in the annual Wichita State Pumpkin Run to encourage first and long-time marathon runners to get out and be active.

First held 40 years ago and originally called the Turkey Derby, the Pumpkin Run raises funds for the Wichita State Campus. The marathon funded the Shocker Support Locker for the third year in a row and donated $1,200.

Taking place in front of Shocker Hall, participants were able to take pictures with Halloween decorations, get their faces painted and participate in group stretches led by campus mascot WuShock. 

Participants spanned different age groups, as well as experience with marathons. Some also brought their pets and came in costume. 

Grace Stringfellow, a Wichita State graduate student, was a first-time participant in the Pumpkin Run. Stringfellow had participated in marathons before but had taken a break from the activity. 

“I was training for a marathon before COVID hit, and then I got really lazy, and this is kind of my foray back into training running again,” Stringfellow said. 

On the other hand, Shayla Duart, another WSU student, said this was her third year participating in the Pumpkin Run.

“It’s fun and, you know, money goes towards different things at WSU, so I’m trying to help them out,” Duart said. 

Ric Rocker, who’s part of the Shocker Track Club, helped coordinate the marathon for his second year in a row. He explained that he enjoys encouraging people to participate in marathons.

“I’m not a track aficionado,” he said. “I didn’t run track when I was in high school, but I think it’s awesome that the university, as well as my club, is here to support people who are athletes that want to come out and run.”

The race began with the blast of an air horn and participants, regardless of their athletic ability, began the three-mile Pumpkin Run around campus as a way to bring athletics into their lives. First place in The Pumpkin run went to Benjamin Flowers, who completed his run in 17:42:00. Participants, including runners who competed in age groups, can find their placement information on The Pumpkin Run results website.