This week’s news brief — Oct. 30

Thy Vo

Innovation Campus wins Emerging Research Park Award

The Association of University Research Parks recognizes a research park every year for creating high-paying jobs, contributing to economic health and bringing technology to the market. Wichita State’s Innovation Campus is the recipient of the 2023 Emerging Research Park Award. 

The Innovation Campus partners with over 10 companies and organizations and has many research and testing labs. 

Care Team insights

Wichita State’s CARE Team has reported that there was a 73.43% increase in care reports this September compared to September 2022. The top two reasons for these care reports were distress and a need for emotional support. 

The CARE Team explains that this has to do with anxiety and stress over academics and social life. For more information on the CARE Team, click here

Employee service milestone events will be held in October and November

Events honoring employees who have reached five to20 years of service with the State of Kansas will be celebrated on Monday, Oct. 30, from 2-4 p.m. in the Rhatigan Student Center.

Employees being honored for 25-50 years of service will be celebrated Thursday, Nov. 9, by invitation only. A full list of those recognized can be seen here

The World Trade Council and CIBA to host upcoming program

The next program hosted by the World Trade Council of Wichita and the Center for International Business Advancement has been set for Thursday, Nov. 2. The name of the program is “Is China a National Security Threat and How Does this Affect Business?”

The program will be presented at the Wichita Country Club starting at 6 p.m. Panelists will address the connection between business concerns and national security. To register for the event, click here

Fall staff social taking place in November

WSU staff are invited on Wednesday, Nov. 8, for a Fall Staff Social. The social is from 3-5 p.m. in the Rhatigan Student Center. Staff will have the opportunity to meet WSU Staff Senators while enjoying snacks, drinks and entertainment. RSVP here

Walk and Talks by HPS continue in November

The Department of Human Performance Studies (HPS) will host two more TWalks in November. These TWalks promote physical and mental health. The two dates are as follows:

• Monday, Nov. 6 at 1 p.m
  • Tuesday, Nov. 28 at 8 a.m.

These walks are 50 minutes, and routes will be determined by weather. Attendees will meet in the lobby of the Heskett Center. 

Creepy Cosmic Bowling at Shocker Sports Grill and Lanes

Shocker Sports Grill and Lanes will have Creepy Cosmic Bowling on Tuesday, Oct. 31. The bowling games will cost $3, with shoes at no additional charge If customers wear a costume, they will receive a free fountain beverage. For more information on Shocker Sports Grill and Lanes, click here

Halloween Open House hosted at Grace Wilkie Annex 

There will be a Halloween Open house on Tuesday, Oct. 31, in Grace Wilkie Annex. Enjoy spooky snacks and creepy crafts at the following offices: TRIO DSS, Office of Online Adult Learning, McNair Scholars Office and ROTC Office. For more information, contact TRIO DSS at [email protected]

Dia de Los Muertos Celebration

The Office of Diversity and Inclusion is hosting a Dia de Los Muertos Celebration on Thursday, Nov. 2. The event is in the Rhatigan Student Center from 2-4 p.m. There will be a sugar skull painting activity along with snacks and goodie bags. 

Shocker Store hosts spooktacular clearance sale

The Shocker Store will host a Halloween clearance sale on Tuesday, Oct. 31 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. If customers wear a costume, they will receive $5 off of their purchase. The clearance sale will take place in the Rhatigan Student Center. 

Organizations to visit First Americans Museum in Oklahoma City

The Student Activities Council and Indigenous Student Collective will visit the First Americans Museum in Oklahoma City on Saturday, Nov. 11. Those attending will have a registration fee of $20 per student and $30 per faculty staff. This price will include transportation to and from Oklahoma City and admission into the museum. 

The only restrictions are no general public, and no one under the age of 18 can attend. Register by Nov. 5 here