Two killed, one injured in Wednesday car crash

Allison Campbell
Caution tape at the 3900 East 17th Street N apartment complex on Aug. 26. File photo

Two Wichita women, including a Wichita State student, were killed in a car crash early Wednesday morning after their vehicle slid into a pole near Pawnee and Woodlawn. The driver, 20-year-old Ahmad Juma, was taken to the hospital in serious condition but was released Wednesday afternoon.

Juma, a WSU student, was driving on the 6200 block of East Pawnee with 19-year-old WSU student Carol Chakra and 19-year-old Lian Awadi around 2:30 a.m. on Wednesday. The trio was driving alongside another vehicle of friends.

While traveling westbound on Pawnee, Juma’s Lexus went off the road and struck a utility pole before rolling multiple times. Juma, Chakra and Awadi were thrown from the vehicle. The second vehicle was not involved in the crash. 

Chakra was pronounced dead at the scene by emergency services. Awadi and Juma were transported to a nearby hospital, where Awadi was later pronounced dead. Following treatment, Juma was released from the hospital the same day.

The Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office said it did “not appear alcohol was a factor in the crash at this time.” While the incident is still under investigation, Lieutenant Nathan Gibbs said in a press release that “speed is a likely factor.”

When contacted by The Sunflower, Wichita State expressed concern regarding the mental well-being of those close to Chakra, Awadi and Juma.

“Whenever a student dies, it’s heartbreaking for our Shocker community, especially for those who were close to the student,” Lainie Mazzullo-Hart, WSU director of communication, wrote in an email. “Any classmates or friends needing support are encouraged to reach out to Counseling and Psychological Services at wichita.edu/caps or the CARE Team at wichita.edu/care.

Westbound Pawnee was closed for several hours as crews worked to clear the scene, but it has since been reopened. 

Officers are currently seeking additional information about the crash. Those with information are encouraged to call the sheriff’s office patrol division at 316-660-3760.

View Comments (1)
Allison Campbell
Allison Campbell, News Editor
Allison Campbell is one of the news editors for The Sunflower. Campbell is a junior pursuing a journalism and media production degree with a minor in English. Campbell hopes to pursue a career in writing or editing after graduation. They use any pronouns.

• Z

ZaydNov 15, 2023 at 6:36 pm

Anyone who knew Carol, knew she was special. She didn’t just change the people she knew, but she changed the world. She was passionate and strong, yet the kindest soul.
    She made us better people and WSU a better place. Her words and actions will always live on.

Reply