Volleyball takes two against UTSA

Kadrian Ayarza
The volleyball team celebrates a winning set at the game against the University of Texas at San Antonio on Nov. 11.

Wichita State volleyball faced off against the University of Texas at San Antonio in a two game series at Charles Koch Arena over the weekend. The Shockers came out on top, winning game one (3-1) and game two (3-0).

Game 1

Wichita State pulled out a win on Friday night’s win, marking head coach Chris Lamb’s 500th win as a head coach within the program. He became the 19th active NCAA coach to do so and the ninth active coach to reach 500 at one school.

The Shockers won the first set and UTSA won the second, but it was junior outside hitter Morgan Weber who had two service aces and nine digs. 

A block from redshirt junior Morgan Stout and redshirt senior Brylee Kelly cut the Roadrunners advantage to 22-21, but UTSA scored the final three points of the set to make the score 1-1 before the intermission. 

Wichita State came back ignited in the third set.  They did not trail at any point during the last two sets. 

Senior hitter Sophia Rohling led the Shockers with 17 kills and a hitting percentage of .417 on 36 attacks. Junior middle blocker Natalie Foster ended the match with 14 terminations. 

Game 2  

On Veteran’s Day, Wichita State volleyball swept UTSA, (25-21), (25-16), (25-20). During the match, Natalie Foster gained her 1,000th kill. Foster had 12 kills and two blocks during the match.

Senior setter Izzi Strand said that Foster is a versatile player who can contact a high ball and has a good snap. 

“Natalie is just amazing,” Strand said. “There is just no clue to what she’s going to go do.”

Strand said when she receives a clean pass and has hitters who are ready, it makes it a lot easier for her to deliver the ball. Strand surpassed 1,000 assists during the match. 

“It makes it a lot easier for the hitters to not only be confident in their swings but also get one up or two up and just find that hole and get a good swing,” Strand said.

Head coach Chris Lamb said he felt that the team got more and more comfortable with the prepared to handle their offense.

“We knew what they were about,” Lamb said.

Wichita State will travel to Houston for their final two road matches against conference newcomer Rice. The teams will face off on Friday, Nov. 17 at 6 p.m. The Saturday game will begin at 2 p.m. Both games can be watched via ESPN+.