Women’s basketball split games Daytona Beach Classic

Ornella Niankan dribbles the ball before passing it to a teammate. She scored 16 points in her 23 minutes of play on Nov. 20.

The Wichita State women’s basketball team brought home one win and one loss from the two games against the Akron Zips (63-61) and the Dayton Flyers (74-63) during the Daytona Beach Classic on Nov. 24 and Nov. 25. 

Game 1 vs Akron Zips

Sophomore Daniela Abies scored her first career double-double, which led Wichita State to win against Akron, 63-61. 

Abies had career-highs of 18 points and 11 rebounds and made 2 layups during the first period, with one being a second-chance layup and the other a fast break layup off a turnover made by Akron. 

Redshirt sophomore Jayla Murray scored a season-high of 12 points and six rebounds and scored six layups throughout the game with two of them being second-chance layups during the first and fourth periods, another one in first period being a fast break off an opponent turnover, three of them being regular layups in the first, third and fourth periods. 

In the first half, redshirt senior Tre’Zure Jobe helped force 14 turnovers and grab three defensive rebounds throughout the game, two of them during the first period and one of them during the second period. 

Freshman Salese Blow, Jobe and senior DJ McCarty, struggled in the first half, but Abies and Murray’s first-half points gave Wichita State a 15-point lead going into half-time with a score of 17-8. 

Abies fouled out and Wichita State struggled to make free throws but scored more rebounds, 35-34 with 15 offensive rebounds with the help of Abies, who made nine out of the 15. 

Game 2 vs Daytona Flyers

Daytona defeated Wichita State in their final game of the Daytona Beach Classic, 74-63. 

Blow scored a career-high of 20 points with a shooting percentage of .500 and made seven free throws along with four jumpers, with one of those jumpers scoring three points, one being a second chance jumper and two regular jumpers. Blow also scored a driving layup during the first period.

After only scoring five points against Akron, Blow was back on the court, leading Wichita State in the first half of the game and scoring 16 points. 

In the beginning of the fourth quarter, Jobe hit a three-pointer and scored a fastbreak layup, bringing Wichita State near a 7-0 run, but Dayton forced a timeout on Wichita State with a 6-0 run. 

Jobe also tied her Division I high with 16 points and scored three layups along with two free throws and three jumpers.

Wichita State will be playing four back-to-back games in Charles Koch Arena starting on Tuesday, Nov. 28 against Southeastern Louisiana at 6 p.m.