Wichita Art Museum to hold free College Night

Loren Amelunke
A view of the gallery featuring “Puck on a toadstool” by Harriet Hosmer. She was born in 1830 and was sometimes known to flow between femininity and masculinity. In William Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” Puck is not assigned a gender in the play and can be played by any person.

Next week, university-goers have the chance to listen to live music, make their own art and see the Wichita Art Museum’s featured exhibit at an event for college students.

College Night, starting at 6 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 16, is free to all students, staff and faculty with a university ID.

Several students from Wichita State and Friends University are helping with the event by sharing information about some of the art on display.  One of these WSU students is Aly Horn, a studio arts graduate student.

“I was interested in being able to see the art as well as possibly talk to some of the public or other students about it,” Horn said. 

Horn will talk to guests about the abstract paintings in the “(im)permanent collection” exhibit. “(im) permanent” showcases some of the 10,000 art pieces in the museum’s permanent collection. 

At the event, visitors can purchase drinks at a pop-up bar and listen to music performed by the Friends University jazz bands and  Wichita State graduate piano student Anne Yap.

Students and faculty will be able to create their own art using various materials provided by the museum and then turn their art into buttons to take home. 

A faculty reception will occur from 6 to 6:30 p.m., where faculty can learn about the museum’s education resources, tours and events. Registration is required for the reception, and faculty can sign up using the form here or find it at wam.org. Faculty registration includes appetizers and one free drink.

Faculty and students can also get in free to the spring featured exhibit “Making American Artists: Stories from the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts,” according to Molly McFerson, the Wichita Art Museum’s director of learning, engagement and partnerships.

“Making American Artists,” which combines some of the most recognizable work from American artists with lesser-known and underrepresented artists, will be at the museum until April 21. 

“What we wanted to do was kind of create a night that was special for college students to really highlight that,” McFerson said. “But WSU students can come anytime that we’re open, show their ID card to the welcome desk, and they’ll get a wristband, and that gets them into the exhibition.”