Two former Shocker baseball players return to Tyler Field after a year away

Mia Hennen
Freshman Jace Miner pitches to OSU during the game inside Riverfront Stadium on April 26, 2022. (File photo)

After a year in the Big 12 Conference, two former Wichita State pitchers announced their return to Eck Stadium this week. 

Senior Grant Adler announced on June 13 that he would be returning to Wichita State for his final year of eligibility after spending the 2024 season at the University of Kansas. Senior Jace Miner followed suit the next day, returning to the Shockers after a year at the University of Oklahoma.

Adler had a 5-4 record with the Shockers during the 2023 season and was named the American Athletic Conference (AAC) Newcomer Pitcher of the Year. Adler’s best performance with the Shockers was in a complete game shutout against East Carolina on April 23, 2023 where the Shockers won 12-3. 

Adler was named AAC Pitcher of the Week twice in the 2023 season, once in February and again in April. Adler logged 77.2 innings with the Shockers and finished the season with 75 strikeouts against 23 walks and a 2.55 ERA. Alder was a starting pitcher for Wichita State appearing in all 14 games he started in. 

Adler transferred to KU before last season, where he logged 7.5 innings with the Jayhawks as an injury kept him from appearing in a game after March 2.  Prior to his injury, Adler was a starting pitcher for the Jayhawks playing four games and starting one. Adler earned a 7.36 ERA during his season at KU. 

Adler’s cousin, Nate Adler, finished his last year of eligibility with the Shockers last season, where he ended the campaign as the team’s primary closer. 

Miner was named Second-team All-Conference during the 2023 season. He led the Shockers with a 2.05 ERA in 24 appearances. For the Shockers, Miner was a relief pitcher appearing in 24 games and making zero starts. 

At University of Oklahoma, Miner was a relief pitcher for seven innings with the Sooners and had a 3.68 ERA for the entire season and made nine appearances with zero starts.  

Adler and Miner represent the first two additions in the transfer portal for Wichita State head coach Brian Green, as he attempts to build on a strong AAC Championship run to close last season.