Zombie apocalypse sweeps WSU’s campus

Warning—there has been a zombie outbreak on campus. Well, sort of.

Round five of the annual Humans vs. Zombies begins today at Wichita State. It is a supernatural take on the popular playground game, tag.

“Each player begins out as a human with one original zombie,” Ashlee Weeks, Student Activities Council gaming chair, said.

The zombie is selected once sign up is complete.

The rules of the game are simple—survive. As a human, your main goals are to outlive the zombie plague and keep from being eaten (tagged) by a zombie.

If at any point you get tagged by a zombie, you transform into one. Then your objective is to avoid starvation by “eating” as many humans as you can.

Humans are not left defenseless against the outbreak—a simple sock could be your salvation.

When a sock is thrown at a zombie, the zombie becomes temporarily stunned for 15 minutes. During this time the zombie is not allowed to tag any humans, giving the humans the opportunity to escape.

Humans vs. Zombies is open to any student wanting to take part. It is played all day over a four days. Missions begin each evening at 5 p.m.

“Last year, we had over 100 people sign up to play,” Weeks said.

They are hoping for the same turn out this year.

So don’t be alarmed when you see students chasing other students or throwing socks at each other. It’s all in the name of fun.

“It sounded interesting and fun to participate in a campus-wide game,” freshman Emily Brown said.

While the deadline to sign up has closed, you can find information on how to join the next round at www.hvzsource.com/wichitastate.