News Brief: South campus seeks motivated student

Most students see college as a place to acquire knowledge useful for their careers.  

The Wichita State University South Campus in Derby wants to offer a student the opportunity to gain some real career skills—teamwork, public relations and customer service.  The South Campus has a vacant student assistant position that offers the chance to develop these skills, and many more.

The student assistant position will work directly with staff, faculty and students with general tasks.

“We put up the ad last week,” said Michael Yeung, WSU South Campus assistant director.  However, student response has been muted; only three applications have been turned in.

Applicants would ideally live near the South Campus.  But Yeung said, “We’ll take anyone who is qualified and wants to work with people.”

Yeung also stated that previous student assistants stayed with the South Campus for long periods of time.  

“If a student wants to become a student assistant, they will find it a nice environment to work in,” Yeung said.

Students interested in the position should visit the South Campus and pick up an application.  Online applications are not being accepted.  The campus is located in Derby, at 200 W. Greenway, Suite 15A.  The telephone is (316) 978-8000.