Letter from the student body president: On the legacy of Dr. Rhatigan

This article is dedicated to Dr. James Rhatigan, former dean of students and namesake of the Rhatigan Student Center (who also jokes that yes, he is still alive). During his 49 years of mentoring students at Wichita State, he served as an exemplar of virtue and character. Many of my peers know of Dr. Rhatigan simply as the “R” in the “RSC,” but my interactions with him since freshman year have taught me firsthand the enormity of his legacy.

Since becoming student body president, I made an effort to meet with Dr. Rhatigan to gain the historical perspective of student government at WSU.

As dean of students, he was the primary advisor for student government, and as I quickly learned, he played a central role in establishing the current structure and responsibilities that we still exercise today.

Over the course of our first two-hour meeting at Fast Break in the RSC, I was awestruck by his remarkable memory as he rattled off the names of student leaders and specific stories that never left him.

Two strawberry smoothies later, I left that meeting knowing I had to share this treasure trove of information with as many people as possible. I felt it was my responsibility to carry forward the innumerable lessons and words of wisdom he shared with me that day.

Earlier this semester, I captured Dr. Rhatigan’s perspective in a video interview that is now available online. A link to that video can be found on the SGA Facebook page and our YouTube account.

My inspiration for the video interview was both for archival purposes and to communicate to my fellow students the importance of progressive leadership and student activism. I encourage everyone to check it out and let me know what you think.

Dr. Rhatigan’s legacy also transcends his impact on the WSU community. Some would call him the grandfather of the student affairs profession. Assuming his job at the age of 30, he was the youngest person to serve in that role at a university of over 10,000 students.

He has been the president of the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators, and he was the organization’s historian for 30 years.

Several awards exist to commemorate his legacy, such as the NASPA James J. Rhatigan Outstanding Dean Award and the SGA Rhatigan Leadership Scholarship.

Even with his litany of accolades, Dr. Rhatigan continues to exemplify a truly genuine personality to everyone he encounters. The first time I met him at the beginning of my freshman year is a perfect example of this. I ambitiously remarked to him that I wanted to be the largest donor in Wichita State’s history, which made him grin ear to ear.

What made that moment so special is the note Dr. Rhatigan sent me afterward. He offered some thoughtful words of advice and encouragement that have never escaped me. He said, “Remember: even when we are pursuing lofty ambitions for success, we must not forget the lonely person in our midst who could benefit from a simple act of kindness.” He has personally done this for me and countless others.

I wanted to write this to instill in my fellow students the importance of valuing those who came before us, those who worked tirelessly to provide the opportunities we enjoy today. During the interview, Dr. Rhatigan expressed a sentiment that I share. He commented on how today’s society is becoming more and more ahistorical. I hope that my interview with him and this article can inspire others to incorporate history more into their daily lives.

When I asked Dr. Rhatigan how he would like his legacy to be remembered, he had a powerful answer. “The names, faces, and voices of everyone will be lost in time. I believe that long after anyone remembers who we were, if we did the right things, that will become part of a future culture, and that will be remembered. That’s all we can hope for.”

I’d like to publically thank Dr. Rhatigan for agreeing to share his history in that interview, and more importantly, for all that he has contributed to WSU and the many students he has positively impacted over the years. His legacy is one worth celebrating.

— Matt Conklin,

Student body president