Player Shaquille Morris balances commitments

Freshman Shaquille Morris is far from an ordinary college student. As a member of the men’s basketball team, he spends his days practicing, studying and — practicing.

Juggling basketball, classes, homework and everyday life for a Division 1 athlete can be a struggle. With dedicated hours of study, a keen sense of focus and an organized routine, Morris puts the word struggle to rest.

Morris’ typical day starts with classes around 9 a.m. Then, he tries to squeeze in a bite to eat before heading to the weight room at 2 p.m., followed by practice. After practice, he ices down to recover his body and heads to study hall, finishing up the day around 8 p.m. Once this routine is finished, he spends extra time catching up on studying or relaxing.

“You have to be really organized,” Morris said.

He has two calendars; one is marked with times and dates for school and the other is strictly for athletics. Morris is undecided about a major, but is considering business.

Players are required to take at least 12 credit hours each semester and six over the summer.

“I honestly think we should get paid,” he said jokingly. “It’s really tough because of all the stuff you have to do to stay organized, and if you mess up, there’s going to be consequences.”

Although the Shockers newly popularized team receives a fair amount of publicity, the media hype does not seem to faze the modest Oklahoma City native.

“It’s fun to have attention, but it’s important to stay humble and focused,” Morris said.

As a freshman, he has a lot of room to grow, but he says his goal regarding being a D1 athlete is getting better as a student and as a person.

“It is totally a different level,” he said. “There’s always things you can do out of the gym and in the gym to make yourself better.”