Students left wanting more food options at WSU

While a lot of the students at Wichita State University live off campus, a significant number of students live on campus. A large portion of this statistic consists of students in their freshmen year and/or international students. Obviously not many of these students are adept cooks, who may have some experience in kitchen, most of which involves setting off the fire alarm. 

Although Wheatshocker apartments have kitchens, a lot of the students are incapable to cooking square meals. The constant fire alarms that wake up the residents at 3 a.m. stands testimonial to this statement.

The question is this: Does WSU have food outlets that can serve students healthy, well-balanced meals?

Can the Rhatigan Student Center serve as a reasonable outlet for healthy food? I highly doubt it. Firstly, most of the food outlets at the RSC are open only for a limited amount of time. Second, most of the entrees on the menus at the RSC are high in their fat and carb content. On an average, an entrée at the Chick-Fil-A has close to 19 percent of the daily fat consumption. The statistics for the entrees at Taco Bell and Pizza Hut are unsettling as well.

Therefore, the outlets at the RSC are by no means sources for a stable healthy diet.

This leaves us with just the Fairmount cafeteria whose food has drawn flak from several students.

“The food at Fairmount is not that good,” Sophia Dillon, a freshman said. “It is not that fresh. There’s not a wide variety of different foods.”

Although the length of their menu gives us some hope, the limited number of healthy entrees immediately dismisses all hope.

As a general trend, most of the entrees provided at the food outlets in WSU are rich in carbs and fat, and while they do fine in their fiber content, they fail to meet the requirements of a healthy diet that a college student would need.