PHOTO STORY: A boy and his dog

Ian Schomp, 6, and his family adopt a dog at the Kansas Humane Society (KHS) on Nov. 25.

Hannah Roberts
Kakuna, 2, the American pit bull mix hides in the back corner of her run at the KHS Friday afternoon. Kakuna was surrendered to the KHS on Nov. 6 for being “too active.”

Hannah Roberts
Ian meets Kakuna for the first time when a volunteer (right) brings her into the play yard. Kakuna initially appeared timid. The Schomps came to the KHS looking for a dog for Ian. The family worried about Kakuna being shy but decided she would warm up as she got more comfortable around them.

Hannah Roberts
Ian and his mother Martha (left) look through an information packet about Kakuna and her personality after filling out the adoption paperwork. The KHS categorizes each dog based on a temperament evaluation. Kakuna was listed as a life of the party. This further encouraged the family that she would quickly come out of her shell.

Hannah Roberts
Ian pets Kakuna in the KHS retail store. Ian decided her name will remain Kakuna.
The family picked out a leash and a squeaky ball. She loved the ball and instantly perked up. Ian delightedly squeaked it repeatedly.

Hannah Roberts
Kakuna peers out of the Schomp’s SUV. After three weeks at the KHS, Kakuna heads to her new home in Derby, KS.

Hannah Roberts, Photographer
Hannah Roberts is a photographer for The Sunflower. Roberts is a senior majoring in entrepreneurship and minoring in communications. She was born and raised in Wichita, Kansas. Roberts has a golden retriever and catahoula leopard dog. Her hobbies include dog agility and participating on the Wichita State Shooting Sports Team. Roberts grew interested in photography after...