Shockers prepare for Oklahoma after Creighton series

Joseph Barringhaus

Wichita State Baseball lines up for the national Anthem.

The Shocker baseball team was in Omaha for the weekend for two games against Creighton on Saturday and Sunday. Creighton won the first of the two 3-1, but the Shockers came back for a win on Sunday 7-4, and are now 13-4 going into their game against OU.  

On Saturday junior pitcher Codi Heuer went for six innings, while freshman Tyler Davis and senior Chandler Sanburn each pitched for one.

Neither team had a single run until the bottom of the sixth when Creighton scored, leaving the Shockers behind 1-0. But in the top of the eighth, the Shockers would score their first run.

Sophomore Jacob Katzfey singled through the right side, and after two outs, freshman Paxton Wallace came up to the plate for a pinch hit for junior Mason O’Brien.

Wallace, who was 1-for-1 that day, doubled to right field for an RBI in his first career hit, to send Katzfey home to score for the Shockers.

The game was then tied 1-1, but Creighton would take the lead in the end of the ninth with a home run, giving them the win that day.

On Sunday WSU came better prepared and was better at the plate and only allowed Creighton to score in the third and fourth innings.

The Shockers were the first to score in the top of the first. Junior Luke Ritter was first at bat and singled to left field, and then advanced to second. Juniors Greyson Jenista and Alec Bohm walked.

With the bases loaded, Wallace walked with an RBI to let Ritter score, and Jenista took third and Bohm advanced to second.

Creighton scored three runs in the bottom of the third, but the Shockers scored two more in the top of the fourth.

Freshman Hunter Gibson walked and then advanced to second when junior Jordan Boyer grounded out to third base. Then Ritter hit a home run out of left field which allowed Gibson to score. In the bottom Creighton would score again, but it would be their last for the game.

In the top of the fifth, Wallace walked and then advanced to second when sophomore Noah Croft singled to right center field. Later on, Boyer doubled to right field for an RBI, with Wallace scoring at home and Croft taking third.

Then the Shockers would score again in the sixth inning. Jenista walked and took second base when Bohm singled to center field.

Then junior Josh DeBacker came in for a pinch hit for O’Brien and grounded out to the pitcher on a sacrifice bunt, which allowed Jenista to take third and Bohm to advance to second.

Afterwards, Wallace singled to left field with an RBI, letting Jenista score and Bohm advance to third base. Then Katzfey grounded out to the pitcher on another sacrifice bunt for an RBI, with Wallace taking second and Bohm scoring at home, leaving the Shockers ahead 6-4.

In the top of the seventh, WSU had their last run of the night. Junior Dayton Dugas reached on a fielding error by the left fielder, then advanced to second. Dugas took third when Boyer grounded out to shortstop.

Then Ritter was up to bat and flied out to center field on a sacrifice fly with an RBI, which let Dugas score at home, keeping the Shockers still ahead 7-4.

The Shockers will face Oklahoma on Tuesday, which is their first game against a Big 12 team this season. OU is currently 14-8 this season and holds the lead 16-12 overall in games against WSU.

WSU leads the NCAA with five grand slams and Bohm is currently the national leader with three grand slams so far this season. The last time the Shockers faced OU in March 7, 2017, WSU won 4-2.

The game against the Sooners is set for 6 p.m. on Tuesday at Eck Stadium. On Friday the Shockers start their weekend series at home against Furman at 6 p.m., which continues through Saturday at 2 p.m. and Sunday at 11:30 a.m.