Shockers defeat Central Arkansas in Tuesday matchup

Wichita+State+sophomore+Preston+Snavely+pitches+against+Central+Arkansas+Tuesday+evening+at+Eck+Stadium.+

Wichita State sophomore Preston Snavely pitches against Central Arkansas Tuesday evening at Eck Stadium.

The Shockers faced UCA on Tuesday for the second time this season for another win 8-2, putting them at 25-9 this season.

Sophomore starting pitcher Preston Snavely went for five innings with five strikeouts and just one unearned run on a hit. Freshman Jacob Lindemann went for three and recorded one strikeout in his first collegiate appearance. Freshman Paxton Wallace also pitched for the first time tonight and recorded one strikeout with one unearned run on a hit.

“We scored early, and that’s what we’re trying to do,” head coach Todd Butler said. “That’s the same pitcher we faced at Central Arkansas. We knocked him outta the game, the guys were really good offensively tonight.”

WSU was off to a good start as they scored four runs in just the first inning. Senior Gunnar Troutwine, who was 1-for-3 with two RBI, singled up the middle to send junior Luke Ritter home.

“It’s just kinda the same approach every day, staying aggressive and look for that fastball or anything close over the plate, but also just keeping it loose in there and not make it bigger than it is,” Gunnar Troutwine said.

A moment later, sophomore Noah Croft singled to center field with two RBI, letting Troutwine and junior Alec Bohm score. Then junior Josh DeBacker singled to center field allowing junior Greyson Jenista to score the fourth run that inning.

In the bottom of the second, Troutwine grounded out to second base with an RBI, as Bohm advanced to second and senior Trey Vickers scored another run.

“We gotta come out ready to play every day and it’s just one of those things that we gotta keep building on every day. We’re trying to make a run right now and win as many games as possible,” Troutwine said.

Then Jenista singled to third base and advanced to second, giving Bohm the chance to take third and score on a throwing error by the third baseman.

The third gave the Shockers another chance to score when junior Jordan Boyer doubled to right center field, sending junior Dayton Dugas home, with the team still in the lead 7-0.

In the top of the fourth, the Shockers’ defense was quick as UCA’s William Hancock grounded into a double play towards shortstop as Vickers threw to Boyer at second, and then at first to Jenista.

WSU was back in action at the plate in the bottom of the fourth when they scored their last run of the game. Jenista homered out of center field with the only home run through the entire game.

UCA had put up their first run in the top of the fifth, and only scored one more time in the ninth inning, still trailing behind WSU by the end of the game.

The Shockers are at home again when they face KU on Wednesday starting at 6 p.m. and the game will be broadcasted on COX.