Student leaves his mark on Student Activities Council

Robert Hite

Melvin Kong has thoroughly enjoyed serving as the vice president of membership for the Student Activities Council.

Melvin Kong is like a lot of graduating Shockers.

“I’m very nervous about graduating: One, I have to pass all my classes; two, I need to complete all the forms to graduate, buy the cap and gown and plan what’s next,” he said.

Kong transferred to Wichita State from a Malaysian university in 2015, but he says he will not be going home.

“I’m going to work as a marketing and website intern,” Kong said.

The Wichita-based company is International Translation Service (ITS).

Kong’s major is communication and he will be creating designs and hiring interpreters for ITS.

“I was told it was a good communication program and it was affordable for me,” Kong said.

Still, Kong said leaving Malaysia wasn’t easy, especially for his family. His parents will be at his graduation — their first visit to Wichita and the first time Kong has seen them in 18 months.

Kong said he will miss college life at WSU, specifically, being the vice president of membership for the Student Activities Council.

“You can grow as a leader,” Kong said. “It enhances my experience and I enjoy my [life] on campus.”

Randi Beggs, coordinator of student activities, said she wishes she could get Kong to go to grad school so he could continue working with SAC.

“Melvin is a breath of fresh air,” Beggs said. “He’s always positive and finds the good in people.”

She said Kong does more than just his job.

“He’s always been a supporter and checks in to see if I am doing OK,” Beggs said.

Emily Liston, SAC family and commuter chairperson, said she will also miss Kong.

“He’s always the first to volunteer to help.”