Farewell from Hayes: Sad boi hour starts now

The+Sunflower+crew+during+the+final+production+shift+together.+
The Sunflower crew during the final production shift together.

Amy DeVault

Amy DeVault

I love this bunch of goons. Let’s get that out of the way right now.

Chance, Jenna, Matt, Kelly, Maddie, Kylie, Evan, Nicole, and Ray, thank you. It’s your fault I’m the journalist and person that I am. You’re all an inspiration. I don’t consider myself nearly as talented as any single one of you but, damn it, I’m trying my best. I owe so much to you all. I could list all the things I admire about each of you, but we’d be here all day.

I can’t even begin to calculate the amount of time I’ve spent in the basement of Elliott Hall with this offensively talented group of people. We’ve been here so late that I’ve thought about just sleeping on the couch. There’ve been so many late nights when we still ended up talking in the parking lot for an hour after production. We work hard and we play harder and we win awards. That’s what we’re good at. The newsroom will forever be littered with the scars of our foolery.

The road trips, the flights, the parties, the productions, all the memories we made are so special to me. It’s been a helluva ride.

I’m not crying, you’re crying!

Now, that I’ve gotten the mushy stuff out of the way, for the actual farewells.

I’m a fan of the ol’ Irish goodbye, so I’ll keep this brief.

I will always go to bat for any of you. If you need anything, ever. I got you, fam.

In the immortal words of Evidence, “We could go our separate ways but the songs remain . . . worst come to worst, my peoples come first.” And you’re all my people.

Amy: The best adviser there ever was. Thanks for putting up with our shenanigans. I didn’t always agree with you but I learned so much from you. I always took your advice and it’s taken me a lot of places. You’ve taught me real life lessons.

Brian Hayes, Photo Editor

Brian is the photo editor at The Sunflower. Hayes is a junior majoring in mass communication with an emphasis in journalism. He is from Wichita. Hayes enjoys art, music, tattoos, craft beer and food. After graduating he plans to move back to Atlanta to pursue a job in photojournalism/dog sitting.

Chance Swaim, Editor in Chief

Chance Swaim is the Editor in Chief of The Sunflower.

Swaim is a graduate student in the English Department working on his Master’s of Fine Arts in Creative Writing at Wichita State University.

Swaim is from Wichita, Kansas.

After graduation, Swaim plans to continue his journalism career and write novels, stories, and poems.

Selena Favela, Photo Editor

Selena Favela is the Photo Editor for The Sunflower. Favela is a junior majoring in graphic design with a minor in communications. She is from Wichita, Kansas. After graduation, Favela plans to pursue photography.

Jenna Farhat, News Editor

Jenna Farhat is the News Editor of The Sunflower.

Farhat is a junior majoring in creative writing. After graduating, she plans to pursue a career in investigative journalism and write some books.

Kylie Cameron, Advertising Manager

Kylie Cameron is a junior studying Political Science and Journalism and is currently serving as the Advertising Manager. Cameron is from Overland Park, Kansas. After graduation, Cameron plans on attending law school.

If you are interested in buying ads from the paper, contact her at [email protected]