News in brief — Sep. 13

ODI to host Hispanic Independence Day celebration

The Office of Diversity and Inclusion will host a Hispanic Independence Day celebration from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday on the Rhatigan Student Center’s east patio.

Hispanic student groups will set up booths with information about history, music, and food from various countries that celebrate their independence in September.

Annual mud volleyball and tug-of-war event this weekend

The Student Activities Council will host its annual mud volleyball and tug-of-war event noon Saturday at the Hughes Metroplex Fields.

Volleyball and tug-of-war will both feature three divisions: men’s, women’s, and co-ed.

Pre-registration and payment ($10 per volleyball team, $5 per tug-of-war team) are due by 5 p.m. Thursday. Visit wichita.edu/sac to register.

WSU hosting blood drive

WSU will host a blood drive from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday in the Heskett Center lobby.

To schedule an appointment, go to redcrossblood.org and search Wichita State, or call 1-800-Red-Cross. Walk-ins are welcome.

Either a Photo ID or a Red Cross donor card is required to participate in the drive.

Engineering dean finalist to speak in public forum

Hamid Hefazi, one of four finalists for dean of the College of Engineering, will speak in public forum and take questions at 3:30 p.m. Thursday in 107 Devlin Hall. The event is open to the public.

Hefazi is a professor and head of the department of mechanical and aerospace angineering at the Florida Institute of Technology.