Shocker Madness: Student-athletes balance school, basketball, life off court

At first glance, one might look at the typical student-athlete and be quick to suppose that their entire life is completely consumed by practices, game days, strict dietary guidelines, early morning weight room sessions and strenuous study hall requirements.

Although most of the time this is in fact the case, college athletes lead lives of many other aspects behind the scenes, as well.

Freshmen basketball players Brett Barney and Sabrina Lozada-Cabbage gave a sneak peek of the ins-and-outs of their daily routines.

Brett Barney

Position: Forward

Height: 6’9”

Year:  Freshman

Hometown: Wichita

What is a typical day like for you?

“Wake up, go to class, try and get a nap in, go to weights at 2:15 p.m. and then practice at 3:30 p.m., then, we usually go eat a team dinner, followed by study hall.”

What type of dietary restrictions do you have?

“I eat whatever is at the cafeteria, pretty much. We don’t have a strict nutrition plan, other than to eat as much as you can.”

How often do you get free time to go home and see family?

“Usually I am able to go home about once a week. I try and go home on the weekend if we have a day off.”

What are your pregame rituals?

“I just listen to music and try and stay active before every game I play.”

How strict has your preseason practice schedule been this year?

It’s competitive, of course, trying to get us ready for the season, so we practice hard every single day for at least two and a half hours.”

Sabrina Lozada-Cabbage

Position: Forward

Height: 6’2”

Year: Freshman    Hometown: Santa Fe, New Mexico

How strict is your offseason practice routine?

“We have mandatory conditioning and weights three times a week and other than that, we as a team come up with a daily pick-up practice time in order to get a feel for each other and have some court experience.”

Are you required to follow a specific nutritional plan?

“Our diet is more self-inflicted, but our strength and conditioning coach, Adam Ringler, is really good about helping, and the coaching staff, as well. If we want to get on a diet, they know exactly what foods to eat and what to stay away from, so they help us out if we decide that.”

How often do you have free time to see your family?

“None of us are from here in Kansas, so we don’t get to see our family very often unless we get a few days off or a holiday break, or if they decide to come here to see us. Other than that, when basketball is over for the day, that is our time to relax.”

What is your favorite hobby/ way to spend your free time?

“Mainly just resting and being with my teammates. Some of us are in the dorms, and we really enjoy just being together off the court. We will watch movies together or a bunch of Netflix TV shows. My favorite show right now is ‘Vampire Diaries.’”