In wake of recent violence, Counseling and Testing Center offers emotional help

Anxiety, grief and depression can be fairly common emotions among college students.

In light of recent violence around campus, the Counseling and Testing Center is on campus to help students, faculty and staff deal with those emotions.

“[Society] has done a good job about destigmatizing the problem, now we need to destigmatize the treatment,” said Mark Green, a licensed psychologist and prevention services coordinator. “College is a huge transition, and with that transition, comes stress.”

The center includes a staff of 12 psychologists and a registered nurse available for treatment and medication.

All first-time individual sessions are free, and group sessions are always free. Additionally, anyone who wants to help a friend is free to call or visit the center with the friend.

“I think friends and family are important, but it is also important to see someone who isn’t biased and who can help you figure out what is best for you,” said Maureen Dasey-Morales, director of the Counseling and Testing Center. “The other benefit is that by state law and ethics code, everything that happens in an appointment is protected. We are not filing for insurance, so no records, no trace.”

Wichita State received a $280,000 federal grant last year to reach out and actively help students prevent, identify and work through their personal issues.

“Prevention…is about going out and talking to everyone, as opposed to only speaking with people who already have the problem,” Green said. “When you open up, you realize people deal with the same thing.”    

Words for Wellness is a program offering talks and discussions on how to manage individual health.

Each workshop is scheduled for the first Monday of the month from noon to 12:30 p.m. in the Rhatigan Student Center, Room 142. Workshop topics include preventing suicide, the consequences of technology, the bystander effect, sexual assault prevention and more.

Anyone struggling with depression or anxiety should seek help if no improvements are made after two weeks, Green said. If someone is in imminent threat or danger, they should call the hotline 1-(800)-273-TALK immediately.

The Center is located on the third floor of Grace Wilkie Hall, just north of Ablah Library.