Fairytales come to life in ‘Into the Woods’ production

Wichita State’s School of Performing Arts Musical Theatre Program will present its rendition of Stephen Sondheim’s “Into the Woods” this weekend at Wilner Auditorium. 

The musical, which emphasizes optimism, true love and family, includes fairytale characters such as Cinderella, Rapunzel, Jack (of Beanstalk fame) and Little Red Riding Hood.

The story includes several Brothers Grimm fairytales and shadows them through their journey to explore their consequences of wishes and adventures.

The plot centers on a childless baker, his wife and their quest to have a family.

“Into the Woods” won several Tony Awards, including Best Score, Best Book and Best Actress in a Musical. Now, WSU students will perform the Broadway production. It was also recently turned into a movie featuring Emily Blunt, Meryl Streep, James Corden and Johnny Depp.

Associate Professor Amy Baker Schwiethale is the choreographer for the musical, and said she is proud of the students and how they have worked as actors.

“The students are doing a really good job with their characters,” she said. 

Schwiethale said the choreography in this production works well with showing the passage of time, as well as relationships, through physicality and choreography.

“My role as choreographer for ‘Into the Woods’ is to bring characters and the story to life, physically,” Schwiethale said.

“Into the Woods” debuts at 7:30 p.m. Thursday and will show through Saturday at that time, as well as at 2 p.m. Sunday. Students can get one free ticket with Shocker ID. Tickets can be purchased at the Fine Arts Box Office in the lobby of Duerksen Fine Arts Center or online at wichita.edu/fineartsboxoffice.