Letter from the Student Body President: On higher education day

Last Tuesday was Higher Education Day in Kansas, and our student government joined other student leaders from six Kansas universities to advocate for student issues at the State Capitol in Topeka.

Each year, the collective student governments decide on two to three issues that we wish to advocate for change at the Capitol. This year’s topics were: a Lifeline 911 policy, a tax rebate on college textbooks and maintaining current levels of higher education funding. Each issue was supported by extensive research among the participating student governments, and I was pleased with the success of that busy day.

Legislators were most supportive of the Lifeline 911 law, which exists in 21 other states and would provide limited legal immunity to minors who have consumed alcohol and seek medical attention for themselves or a friend. The intention of the law is not to condone underage drinking, but to acknowledge that such activity occurs and that our efforts are worth saving at least one college student’s life.

For instance, imagine you and your friend were drinking underage and your friend needed medical assistance from consuming too much, but one or both of you were too scared of the possibility of being charged with minor in possession or minor in consumption of alcohol.

The Lifeline 911 law would limit that negative perception and provide the confidence to make a decision that could save a life.

The second issue — a tax rebate for college textbooks — was an issue that was also advocated at last year’s Higher Education Day. With growing uncertainty of the state’s investment in higher education, student government aimed to present a solution that could marginally reduce the student debt burden. A tax rebate for college textbooks would incentivize Kansas students to purchase their books in-state as opposed to online. Our efforts have resulted in a legislator sponsoring the tax rebate initiative, and we are awaiting the outcome as the legislature vets the idea.

Our last initiative — maintaining current levels of higher education funding — was the most challenging topic considering the state’s precarious fiscal situation. Instead of debating the facts and figures of the higher education budget, students focused on telling personal stories of how the cuts would affect them and their peers.

One of my most memorable moments this year was joining the other student body presidents in meeting with the governor to discuss our issues. We were elated to hear he thought the Lifeline 911 law was a worthy cause. A topic I was particularly interested in was the challenge of brain drain in Kansas. The governor spoke of the importance of retaining our educated work force while remaining competitive in the region.

In light of the negative media attention about Kansas’ budget situation, I view this as an opportune time for college students to embrace the responsibility of reacting to the challenge presented before them.

It is the current generation of college students who will inherit the challenges of our great state, and I hope that my fellow students will consider contributing to our future in a positive way.

If you are interested in discussing these issues with myself or another student government leader, feel free to visit our office in room 219 of the Rhatigan Student Center or contact me personally at [email protected] or 978-7060.

—Matthew Conklin, Student Body President