Launch party kicks off Homecoming events

Wichita State has turned into Tanira Borecky’s second home.

The Hutchinson Community College transfer, now a sophomore at WSU, played pool, ate French fries and hung with friends Wednesday night at Shocker Sports Grill and Lanes for the Homecoming Launch Watch Party.

With this year’s upcoming Homecoming events, Shockers Forever hopes to rally more spirit among students, like that found in Borecky.

“Our hope is to get more people involved on campus, more people know about [Homecoming] and to participate,” said WSU junior Emily Blount, vice president of Homecoming with Shockers Forever.

Shockers Forever is a student organization sponsored by the WSU Alumni Association which aims to bridge the gap between the student body and Shocker alumnus.

Part of its mission is also to enhance the student experience with a handful of on-campus events — the largest being Homecoming, which is slated for the week of Feb. 23. This year’s theme is “Shockerland,” Blount said, which is a play on the popular Candy Land board game.

Wednesday night’s launch party was a kick-off to the February Homecoming events. Students played free billiard games, bowled and posed with Shocker-themed props — such as pom-poms, bowties and yellow, oversized glasses — for a photo booth.

This year’s Homecoming — which is organized by the WSU Alumni Association — will feature the usual Shockers Got Talent and Nearly Naked Run, with the addition of a Twister tournament and a few other new events. Visit wichita.edu/homecoming for more event details.

“We don’t ask for everyone to come to everything,” Blount said. “But at least come to one event because we have some really cool stuff going on this year.”

Blount said she hopes this year will include more student involvement.

“I would say (student involvement) is good during basketball season because I mean, our basketball team has done really well the last few years,” she said. “So I kind of want our students to always be proud to go to Wichita State no matter how good our sports teams are.”

Borecky said she’s been spending more time at Shocker Sports Grill & Lanes this semester; she’s now in her third at Wichita State.

“It’s a nice place to kind of kick back, relax,” she said. “It has a really nice atmosphere, too, and I’ve met some really cool people here.”

That’s something Borecky said Wichita State has that Hutchinson doesn’t: spirit.

“I don’t know how other people feel, but I’m really, really proud of our school,” she said. “Even my fiancé’s grandmother hand-knitted us Wu Shock hats to wear to the games.

“They have the big noses and everything.”