Big Pink Volleyball collects donations for breast cancer charities

A new Student Wellness Action Team (S.W.A.T.) hosted the third annual Big Pink volleyball tournament on the second floor of the Heskett Center Saturday.

S.W.A.T. presented the tournament with Student Health Services, Counseling and Testing and Campus Recreation. The tournament raised $520 to be donated and divided between Victory in the Valley, which provides services to families with breast cancer, and Early Detection Works, a center providing free mammograms for uninsured women.

“It’s not your typical volleyball game,” S.W.A.T. president Terry Giang said. “This is a creative way to raise awareness for breast cancer, and honestly, it’s just really fun.”

S.W.A.T. is a registered student organization that started in 2012 as a way to focus on the health and wellness of the Wichita State community. Recently, a new group of students took over the organization after the previous group was depleted from graduating seniors and others who left.

“When we all got into S.W.A.T. this year, there was no one left from before, so it’s like we had to start all over,” S.W.A.T. vice president Erin Haase said.

S.W.A.T. member Marissa Orloske, a WSU freshman, recounted how awkward the group was in the beginning. She said that once leadership positions were appointed, planning became simpler and other specifics fell into place.

“It was hard because no one knew each other and no one wanted to step up,” Orloske said.

As for future events, Giang said S.W.A.T. is planning to host an event in April as part of sexual assault awareness month.