News in brief, Feb. 16

St. Petersburg String Quartet performing Tuesday evening

The St. Petersburg String Quartet is performing a concert at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in Wiedemann Hall.

The group has received honors including a Grammy nomination, “Best Record” honors in both Stereo Review and Gramophone and a five-year residency at the Oberlin Conservatory of Music, and has performed hundreds of concerts at many North American, European and Asian prestigious series and festivals.

Doors for the concert open half an hour before showtime. The Wiedemann Box Office opens one hour before the show.

Tickets are $7 with discounts available. For more information, call the Fine Arts Box Office at 978-3233, Monday through Friday noon to 5 p.m., or email [email protected].

Ablah Library hosting workshop for finding reliable sources

Students needing help with conducting research can get some help from Ablah Library during a research workshop from 5 to 6 p.m. Tuesday at the library.

Attendees will learn how to identify which articles are best for background information and which are for more complex questions, how to understand the differences between primary, secondary and tertiary sources and become familiar with SmartSearch and other library search tools.

The workshop is free and open to the WSU community.

For more information, call 978-6331.

Chief strategist for Apples & Arrows featured speaker for Business Booster Series

Todd Ramsey, chief strategist for Apples & Arrows advertising company, is the featured guest speaker at Friday’s Business Booster Series event.

Ramsey will present “Happiness Matters: Creating a Culture for Business to Thrive” from 12 to 3:30 p.m. Friday in 010 Devlin Hall.

The cost to attend this series presentation is $50 for the general public, $10 for faculty and staff and $5 for students.

For more information, contact Wendy Veatch, director of outreach programming for the Wichita State Center for Entrepreneurship, at 978-521.

— TJ Rigg

Office of Financial Aid to host FAFSA Workshop

The Office of Financial Aid will host a workshop to assist students and their guardians in navigating and filing of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Office staff will be on hand in Lindquist 429B Tuesday from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. and in Jabara 124 from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday.

The workshop is free and open to the public.

For more information, call 978-5027.

—Kevin Brown