University, community come together in sexual assault discussion

A crowd gathers in the pavilion at Fairmount Park to discuss community safety Thursday.

With several university representatives in attendance, a community discussion Thursday evening emphasized Wichita State’s role in the safety and livelihood of its surrounding neighborhoods.

The conversation at the Fairmount Park community building — located one block south of the WSU campus — centered on the reality of sexual violence in Wichita in the wake of a violent assault that killed 36-year-old Letitia Davis in November.

“We wanted to see what the community thought of the events,” that happened last November, said Wyatt Vieux, president of WSU’s Interfraternity Council. “And see what the next actions would be to take.”

About 30 community members and representatives from the Wichita Police Department, City of Wichita, Wichita Area Sexual Assault Center and WSU were in attendance.

What happened to Davis is not the reality of sexual violence, explained Robin Bariel, outreach advocate with WASAC.

“Most of what we see is not someone walking through a park and is attacked by someone completely unknown to them,” Bariel said to the small audience. “Most of the sexual violence we see is perpetrated by someone they know, trust and most often love.”

It is that reason, Bariel said, that many cases of sexual assault go unreported. Victims don’t consider what happened to them “rape,” she said.

Bariel also said she heard many comments of ‘I don’t feel safe in my neighborhood anymore’ and ‘This used to be a good community’ following the attack in Fairmount Park.

“It’s not about neighborhoods,” she said. “I can’t tell you that living in College Hill is not going to be any safer than it is going to be living here at WSU … Because it’s not about location.”

Members of the audience expressed their concerns for future steps to be taken against sexual violence in the area. Several attendees said education is key. To that, Bariel said WASAC is available to lead discussions among audiences of two to 300 people, if requested.

Several WSU officials in attendance Thursday represented a variety of departments and services, including the Counseling and Testing Center, the Interfraternity Council, university police and members of the newly-formed “Enough is Enough” task force.

Wade Robinson, vice president of student affairs at WSU, once again put forth the offer to provide a location for self-defense classes, as previously brought up at a campus safety forum following the attack.

“If you need a place, the offer there was to have a place of no charge at the Heskett Center,” Robinson announced at the meeting. “We have an excellent facility with matted floors.

“I get it — learning how to hit isn’t going to stop this. But if it’s risk reduction and awareness, if it helps one person, then it’s been worth it.”

Vieux said several of WSU’s fraternity chapters will do their part to put a stop to sexual assault, including plans to host a gala in which all proceeds will go toward WASAC.

“One thing we wanted to focus on was getting the chapters in the area and attend [Fairmount Neighborhood Association] meetings,” Vieux said. “I think it would be a good way to let us know what’s going on in the area.”

The university is a “great resource” to the community, Robinson said. Ted Ayres echoed those sentiments.

Ayres, who recently announced his retirement in his role as WSU’s vice president and general counsel, also spoke up in the discussion to represent his lead role in the Enough is Enough task force, which aims to create safe neighborhoods near campus.

“I wanted to re-emphasize the university’s concern,” Ayres said during the discussion. “What we’re trying to do is gather up university expertise and resources — both financial and human — and be a player in making a difference.”