A few of my final thoughts

Years from now, when I stroll around Wichita State, I wish to see ch-ch-ch-changes.

I’d love to marvel at Dr. Bardo’s ambitious Innovation Campus project in its final stages.

Nothing would please me more than finding out that someone out there read my “WSU needs a film club” column and subsequently decided to do something about it.

When I come back to this place, I want to know the University Board has come up with a permanent solution to the constant parking issues.

I want this great institution to offer a bachelor’s degree in film. I want there to be no more violence near campus. I want the shuttle to run just a little faster.

But perhaps most importantly, I want to visit my newsroom.

At the end of our last meeting, our Editor-in-Chief asked me and other soon-to-be former Sunflowers what we’d learned throughout our tenure at the school newspaper.

I choked. What could I possibly say that I didn’t demonstrate every week with numerous articles, reviews and columns? Besides, I’ve never been much of a public speaker.

All eyes on me. Make a joke, Paulo! Be witty! Be the guy that writes those humorous pieces people find somewhat amusing.

“I’ve, uh, learned AP style,” I said. Faint chuckles in the background made me believe someone had actually found it funny.

Later on, I realized they’d laughed at something they read on their phone.

I suppose this is the appropriate time to say I’ve learned much more than that.

Truth be told, I haven’t completely developed my knowledge in AP style, given that editors still work heavily on my articles.

I have, however, improved myself in other aspects. When I first came to Wichita, I could barely speak to anyone due to the anxiety and agoraphobia that have plagued me since childhood.

Even today, I’m still the quiet guy at parties staring at his cellphone as he wishes to return home, put on his jammies and watch old episodes of “How I Met Your Mother” until he falls asleep.

This semester, however, I had to go out and ask questions.

I have interviewed so many people that I recognize someone every two minutes I spend on campus.

Now, it seems silly that I kept myself from getting to know people for so long.

Therefore, I want to thank this newspaper for not only showcasing my abilities, but also giving me the chance to get out there and face my greatest fear.