Student ticket holders need to pack Roundhouse

Head coach Gregg Marshall addressed a letter to Wichita State students, which was placed on each seat of the student section at the Saint Louis game Dec. 6, 2014 at INTRUST Bank Arena.

The Wichita State Athletic Department has actually been handing out more student tickets than there are student seats at Koch Arena. Yet, students are still not filling it up. 

Students snatch up tickets right and left for men’s basketball games. This isn’t a problem for me because I’m able to sit press row. It’s a problem for those fans and students that can’t get tickets to a game because someone picked them up and didn’t use them. 

If students are unsure if they can go to the game or not, then don’t pick them up. After 48 hours, those tickets will go on sale to the general public.

After the game against Tulsa — in which a massive void was left in the section above the band — head coach Gregg Marshall, Darron Boatright (Senior Associate AD/External Operations) and John Brewer (Associate AD/Marketing & Strategic Communications) met and formulated a letter to students that was distributed at the Saint Louis game at INTRUST Bank Arena.

“We came up with a letter just talking to [students] about ‘please, if you’re gonna take the ticket, use the ticket,’” Marshall said. “Because then there’s other people in line that can’t get a ticket so they don’t think they can go to the game.”

All of this while other students are picking up tickets — three or four tickets at a time — and not attending.

The Tulsa game was sad, plain sad. Empty seats were everywhere. The Seton Hall game was better. But two full rows, if not more, were unfilled once again. 

Asking Marshall about the difference in the student section between the games, he decided to ask my opinion.

“Better,” I said.

“Better, let’s see,” Marshall said. “That’s like saying this year, Shane Victorino had a better year than Jackie Bradley as an outfielder for the Red Sox. Neither one were very good.” 

That’s not to say the student section hasn’t been good. Marshall and the Athletic Department have been much nicer about it than I have recently. I’ve possibly been overly critical of the student section lately. But the students that show up and scream, I’m happy with.

It’s the students picking up tickets and not going. These students aren’t relishing the opportunity they’ve been given. They’re taking this opportunity for granted.

A Final Four season, 35-1 and ranked No. 11. Not to mention the NBA talent the Shockers have on its roster. ESPN’s Chad Ford has Ron Baker listed as a fringe first-round pick. Plus, Baker is ranked 10th in college hoops hairstyles.

It’s an arena that Bleacher Report’s Jason King told me was probably a top five venue in the country. 

That’s high praise from someone who’s been to almost every great arena in the country. Unfortunately, I disagree with him right now. If he saw how the student section hadn’t filled up, he’d probably change his mind.

At this point, what’s keeping students from going to games? I understand finals and holidays, but that’s no excuse to hold onto a ticket you won’t use. Leave it with someone who will.

“I’m certain once we start conference and exams are over and the second semesters in play, as long as we can keep winning and playing well, that they’ll show up in record numbers,” Marshall said. “But, right now for whatever reason, there’s just a big void of students in that top part of the student section, which is kind of shocking to me.

“I don’t want to say disappointing, but I just kind of wonder what they’re doing.”

The Shockers’ next home game is against Alabama on Tuesday, and campers will be out in full force. The Marshallville grounds will have campers setting up by 6 p.m. Monday night and decorating tents to represent different players from the team. Channel 96.3 will be there to judge whose tent looks the best and coach Marshall might even make an appearance, said Max Runyon, Marshallville president.

As for the students picking up tickets and not using them, they might see changes to how the ticket system is currently set up.

“They’ll come,” Marshall said. “I’m not worried about it. We’re working with them. We’re trying to figure out the best way to get them here.”

The Athletic Department is considering changes to how student tickets are handed out. No idea has been taken off the table.