Students should take advantage of every opportunity to travel

Over the summer, I went to Oregon and worked for a couple months at a conference center with my best friend.

I lived on Cannon Beach, in a tiny apartment across the street from the ocean. After living in Kansas for the last 13 years, I experienced the beach life — anytime I was bored, I walked across the street and took a stroll on the sand. And it was wonderful.

At the conference center, I worked in housekeeping for a bit, scrubbing toilets and perfecting hospital corners on beds. For most of the summer, though, I worked in food service, overcoming my fears of talking to people (surprisingly, not as scary as I thought), and learning the ins and outs of being a server and part of a wait staff.

My job wasn’t all that glamorous, but the location was incredible and made every second worth it.

On days off, I hiked with friends, went on many, many Dutch Brothers coffee runs, took trips to Portland and Seattle, played sand volleyball and went to as many beach bonfires as possible.

My friends and I stayed up until two or three in the morning and got up to work at six. I couldn’t have had a better summer.

This week, I’m traveling with my church to Ciudad Juárez, Mexico, to build a small house for a needy family. I went on the same trip last year, and I’m excited for this year’s journey. It’ll be fun to travel and help out at the same time.

When I graduated high school, I dreamed of being a world traveler, often telling my friends that my dream job was to be a hobo who traversed the globe. As a college student, I’ve been able to see so many places, both through trips of my own and family vacations. Traveling is always an adventure, and I think everyone should experience it.

Since we’re college students, a good chunk of us work flexible jobs outside of our desired industry until just after graduation. Because of that, we have unique opportunities in long winter breaks, spring breaks and summers to take time to visit other places. Trips can be short — road trips to Kansas City, Oklahoma City or Branson — or long jaunts to Galveston, California or the East Coast.

Yes, these kinds of vacations do take time and money. But they don’t have to break the bank.

There are so many online resources to help offset costs, from cheap, last-minute flight finders, to travel deals on coupon sites like Groupon and LivingSocial, to inexpensive sleeping arrangements on Airbnb and other sites.

I would encourage students to take the opportunity they have now to travel. Once we graduate and enter the business world, it will become so much harder to take time off.

Whether it’s through working in another state over the summer, getting away over a weekend, going on a mission trip or road tripping through the Midwest, there are always new and cool things to see and do.

I would give almost anything to go to the places I’ve only seen in pictures and movies. From what I’ve experienced, the world possesses so much beauty, and I want to see it all.

You should, too.