22 and up club

If you are sad about still being in college outside of the “normal” age, don’t be. According to U.S. Department of Education National Center for Educational Statistics (NCES), 36 percent of college students graduate on time. On average, 57.5 percent of all college students are taking six years to finish up.

So if you’re sad, cheer up. You’re among great company. Besides, if you’re in the 22-25 age range, your brain hasn’t even developed all the way yet, you can’t rent a car or in some states, hotel rooms.

Life happens. Sometimes you have to drop math class because of an unforeseen family circumstance. Or you have to pick up an extra shift at work and drop your 8 a.m. class. This is all normal.

Overall, it doesn’t matter when you get done as long as you make progress each semester. And if people judge you, just think about what Eleanor Roosevelt said: “Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.”

When you realize there will be people judging you and make the conscious decision to ignore them,  I promise you will be happier.

It is your journey, no one else’s.

If there is learning to be done in your life, it’s much better to do it in school. College is the training ground for life. If you mess up in college, you can go talk to professors or fail and ultimately learn why you make mistakes. If you mess up at a job, you’re written up or fired. You get plenty of second chances at college.

If you or someone you know is struggling, seek help. Part of college is learning and figuring out stuff, but the other part is becoming mature enough to ask for help when you need it.  There are lots of people around Wichita State to help, but it is our responsibility as students to ask.