Letter from your student body president: On sexual assault

The topic of sexual assault at universities across the United States has been at the forefront of conversation this fall, Wichita State included.

Passionate dialogue has sparked among invested students, faculty and staff since the Sunflower published a front-page report of a rape case at Shocker Hall earlier this month.

Sexual assault is a heinous crime that violates an individual’s human rights and leaves the survivor with lasting emotional distress.

No one should be forced to endure such violently degrading acts, especially on a college campus.

College students should feel a sense of comfort and security while on a college campus, not fear for their personal safety.

Last Tuesday, I attended an open discussion on sexual assault hosted by the Office of Diversity and Inclusion.

A panel comprised of university administrators, ranging from Dr. Wade Robinson, VP of Student Engagement, to Dr. Maureen Dasey-Morales, Director of Counseling and Testing, spoke about their role in addressing sexual assault and answered questions from attendees.

What I learned from that discussion is that people in our community are deeply committed to ensuring sexual assault is not tolerated at this institution.

Members of our university administration make themselves available to anyone with questions or concerns regarding the current policies that determine how cases are handled and the resulting conduct ramifications.

Robinson’s email to all students on Sept. 16 details how the university addresses sexual assault.

He also spoke about his message at the Student Senate meeting last Wednesday.

A follow-up to the previous open forum discussion will be at 5:30 p.m. today in the Shocker Hall multipurpose room.

I encourage everyone available to attend and participate in this important discussion.

But that is not to say more can be done.

From the federal level, the White House unveiled a new campaign to stop sexual assault called “It’s On Us.”

You might have seen some of its content on social media and TV promotions. Visitors to the website itsonus.org can sign a pledge to state their commitment to actively participate in the fight to stop sexual assault in all forms.

I’ve called on our student government to do its part in continuing the active dialogue at our school to ensure the focus on this topic does not become diminished with time, but takes root in the conscious of all community members.

The effort to create a culture of education and prevention includes everyone.

Student government is here to advocate for your needs and address your concerns, and we welcome any opportunity to hear recommendations for improving current policies.

Moving forward we will be involved in discussions on policy, procedure and resources at this institution.

I welcome your support and feedback as we focus on this important issue.

— Matt Conklin,

Student body President