Letter from your student body president: Tobacco free initiative

My fellow Shockers,

By now I hope everyone is settled into their class schedules and getting the hang of a comfortable daily routine on campus.

I usually start the day with a double shot mocha from Fast Break in the RSC. It’s like my jet fuel for the day.

I want to dedicate each of my letters to the Sunflower on a specific issue or project being promoted by SGA.

Hopefully by now, everyone has heard of a group trying to pursue a tobacco-free policy for the university.

I touched on this initiative in my last article, and this letter is timely, considering SGA’s plans to move forward with the issue.

Creating a tobacco-free policy may seem complex. It is.

The university has what are called “policies and procedures” that detail a number of items, including the university structure, employment policies, budgeting, etc.

Creating a tobacco-free policy requires the president to authorize the revision of the policies and procedures to state that we are a tobacco-free campus.

And of course, sufficient detail should be included to specify the scope, implementation and enforcement of such a policy.

This initiative has been spearheaded by a group of students, faculty, staff and a representative from the Sedgwick County Health Department.

Many people seem to think this is an effort that originated and is associated solely with student government, and that’s not entirely true.

Early in the summer, I was approached by Emma Crabtree, a fellow student and president of the student organization, Tobacco Free Wu and Me, about gaining SGA support and direction for the initiative.

I was impressed with the amount of research and diligence the working group had invested in the project, and as the representative of student government, I was happy to lend our support to a student-led initiative.

The working group has been busy since summer spreading awareness throughout the various university constituencies.

I have personally reached out to each of the constituent senates on campus (faculty, university support staff and unclassified professional) to inform them of our objective and gather valuable feedback.

Ultimately, we would like to have each senate pass a resolution in support of pursuing a tobacco-free policy.

There has been overwhelming support for a tobacco-free policy since the word got out over the summer.

The group’s booth at the Student Involvement fair was flooded with supporters, including a couple smokers.

But there are still those with differing opinions.

And that’s important, because every perspective should be taken into consideration when proposing a policy that affects all of campus.

Several working groups will be organized this semester for interested members of the community to express their opinions about the initiative.

Look out for those dates and times. It also must be made clear that this is not a short-term project, but more of a one-to-three-year timeframe.

No one should assume that a new policy, including education, implementation and enforcement, can happen overnight.

In the near future, Student Senate will be discussing and voting on a resolution in support of pursuing a tobacco-free policy.

A resolution essentially expresses the opinion and will of the student body, since those voting are senators that represent the student constituencies.

That date is Sept. 24, and Senate meets at 6:30 p.m. in RSC 233.

All are welcome to observe the senate discuss and vote on the resolution.

In the meantime, feel free to reach out to me to share your opinion or learn more about the initiative.

Also, check out “Tobacco Free Wu and Me” on Facebook and Twitter. You can also provide feedback to Jasmine Douglas, an involved graduate student, at 316-587-7918 and [email protected].

Use SGA to empower your voice and let your opinion be heard.

I look forward to making progress on this initiative with your help. Have a great rest of the week.