Student-athlete etiquette at WSU

Sitting down for dinner at Red Robin, an old acquaintance that you have not seen in 10 years comes up and starts talking. The food just arrived and it is sitting there and you are salivating at the mouth.

This person, that you did not care to talk to in the first place, leaves after 10 minutes, and the food is still sitting there because you did not want to be rude. You finally take a bite, and it is cold.

Dinner has been slightly ruined.

This is a hypothetical situation, but it happens to student-athletes and coaches often.

Sadly, their local celebrity status means they cannot go out in public without being bothered. There is an obvious explanation for this extra attention.

Four players on this year’s men’s basketball team were a part of the 2013 Final Four. More than half of this year’s team was a part of last year’s historic undefeated streak, becoming the first team in NCAA history to start a season 35-0.

It makes sense that they are so popular, but does not mean they should be bothered and have to sign an autograph or take a picture at every request.

“I think our players are the best in the country when dealing with our fans,” said Ryan Hillard, special assistant to head coach Gregg Marshall. “They know how lucky they are to get to play in this type of environment and do not want to disappoint on or off the court.”

Players and coaches are now being recognized nationally. Signing autographs and taking pictures when they are out of town is one thing. Fans around the country do not have the same type of access to the players as Wichitans do. When they are in town, they should be treated better. There are appropriate times to ask for an autograph or picture, and there are inappropriate times.

Here are the “Do’s and Don’ts” of asking for a favor from these hometown heroes.

Don’ts

Out to Eat or in Public

This was said earlier, but it is an important one. Coaches and players are frequently bothered when they are out to eat dinner. They are with friends and family to be with friends and family and get some good food. They can also be in a hurry, so when they are asked for a favor, it takes extra time for them to get to where they need to go.

In Class: This strategy is “iffy.” If class has not started yet and you feel like you have to get a picture with a player, kindly ask for a picture. If the player says no, do not run and tell all of your friends that you cannot believe how mean this person was. Remember, if the person says yes, the teacher might not be so accepting of this and will think of it as an unnecessary interruption. The teacher will be upset with you and will probably be harder on the player. They are there to learn.

In Class Selfie

I swear, if I see a selfie of you and Ron Baker sitting down behind you and he is not looking at the camera, I will flip my lid. I am older than most students here, so let me fill you in on something, it is not cool or funny.

In the Library

Same story here. Players are not going to the library to hang out or take pictures and sign autographs. They are students and they study, too. They have homework, tests and finals just like every other student.

Walking on Campus

Again, they are trying to get to class to learn. If a player is sitting outside, talking with friends, then maybe they can be approached. However, remember that once a player is asked for a picture, it will usually lead to a swarm of people asking for more.

Do’s

After the Game

WSU security usually wants fans to clear out because they will stick around for an hour after the game, but this would probably be the most appropriate time to ask.

Autograph Signings

This is an obvious choice, but Coach Marshall holds autograph signings around the city throughout the year. Why bother him when he is out to eat?

Special Events

The players will sometimes be at special events where asking for a picture or an autograph is probably more appropriate.

How to Approach Them

If you see a player in one of the “Do” situations, remember that they probably know they have a “celebrity” status. Do not be shy around them. Simply tell them your name, maybe pay them a small compliment and ask for the autograph or picture.

If you want an autograph, have the pen and paper ready. Do not waste their time by fumbling around in your purse or backpack looking for a pen and paper. Do not stick it in their face. Ask, “May I have your autograph?” Hand it to them, get it back, say thanks and walk away.

If you want a picture, have the camera or probably the phone ready. Again, do not waste their time by trying to pull up your camera function on the phone. Have it ready. Do not make them stand around waiting for you while they are trying to speak with someone else.

It is rude.