No sibling rivalry here: Michaela Dapprich talks about playing with sister Moriah

Moriah Dapprich (Left) and Michaela Dapprich (Right) cheer on the rest of their teammates during the WSU Vs. Southwest Baptist exhibition game on Sunday November 3rd at Koch Arena.

The Dapprich sisters, Michaela and Moriah, are best friends. When it came time for Moriah to choose a school to play college basketball at, it was a no-brainer.

From playing one-on-one against each other growing up, to AAU basketball together and playing on the same high school team, the sisters remained together.

All the signs pointed them reuniting to play college basketball.

With big sister Michaela at Wichita State, and Moriah having a scholarship offer from the Shockers, it is only fitting that this story end with Moriah joining WSU.

Born in Springfield, Mo., the sisters’ family moved to Branson, where their parents are the directors of the Branson Sports Club Dream Team Basketball Organization.

Michaela said her parents encouraged the sisters to play a sport.

“My sister and I would work out at the gym, play basketball and volleyball,” Michaela said. “We are friends off the court, but we are different people.”

For additional practice, Michaela likes to play Moriah one-on-one.

“She plays like me,” Michaela said. “I can’t do things that I do against other people and she knows my game just like I know her game.”

Both sisters played multi-sport athletes in high school. Michaela lettered in basketball, volleyball and track and field, and held the high school record in the shot putt and discus at 144’0.

While Michaela, a year-and-a-half older than Moriah, led WSU last season in three point field goal percentage at 40 percent and made the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament team as a freshman, Moriah was breaking her older sister’s high school record with a 144’6 in the discus.

“Yeah I wanted to keep the record around, but if I wanted someone to break my record I want it to be Moriah,” Michaela said.

Moriah is part of a seven-player top 40 recruiting class for the Lady Shockers. The 6-foot freshman guard and forward earned Missouri Class five all-state honors as a senior. She also lettered in volleyball and cross-country.

Head Coach Jody Adams said Moriah could be the best freshman on the team.

“I think I help her to where she does not have to learn some of the things I went through, on my own last year,” Adams said.

“Having her here really helps me, it brings a part of home, here,” Michaela added. “We just knew we were at the right place.”