One-on-One with Darius Carter

Transfer student Darius Carter warms up with free throws during practice at the Multipurpose gym which is located inside the Koch Arena. He signed with Wichita State in the Spring of 2013.

Darius Carter is a 6-foot-8, 235-pound forward who transferred to Wichita State this year. He is a First Team National Junior College All-American from Vincennes University, a two-year school in Indiana. In our interview, he talked about his sports background and his relationship with his famous basketball-playing cousin, LeBron James.

Tell me about your sports background.

I played football freshman year, but that didn’t work out too good. So I just stuck with basketball. I didn’t play any other sports.

Has basketball always been your favorite sport?

Yeah. Growing up, my dad played, and he always wanted me to play, so I always loved basketball. I was playing organized basketball since third grade. I’ve been playing awhile.

After high school, what made you decide to go to a two-year college like Vincennes, instead of a four-year school?

Well, I had to because of my grades out of high school, and it gave me a better opportunity to get looked at by more colleges. I got scouted more, and I got to develop my game more.

You were named a NJCAA (Nation Junior College Athletic Association) First Team All-American last year. How did that feel?

It felt really good to accomplish that. As a freshman, I always wanted that, but I didn’t get it my freshman year. So I worked harder my second year, and I feel like that helped me a lot with my recruitment, because I stepped it up big time in the post-season. There was a lot of people there watching.

You played in Hutchinson, correct? At the NJCAA tournament?

Yeah.

Was that the first time you made a connection with WSU? Or did they reach out to you before that?

Yeah, I was talking to them before that. And then that was the first time I had a chance to come here and see the facility. We had practice here, so that gave me a chance to see the facility a little bit.

What have you liked about Wichita? The city, and WSU?

I love the community — how much support we have from everyone. I’ve never been in a place like this before, where everybody is watching us, rooting us on and supporting us.

What are some of the things you are looking forward to this season?

I [am] ready to play in front of that big crowd out there in Koch Arena. I heard it was crazy, so I can’t wait to experience that.

What do you think will be some of your challenges transitioning to Division I basketball?

I definitely need to get stronger, faster. Because moving up to D-I, there are a lot bigger and faster people.

What are some things you have learned from Coach Marshall?

I’ve learned to think faster. With the plays we run, we [have] got to think on the go. Coach is going to call them out, and you don’t have much time to adjust.

This is a question I have to ask. What is your relationship with LeBron like? Did you grow up with him? Do you have much contact with him?

I mean really, I didn’t have much contact with him, because he is always traveling. He is a hardworking man, so whenever I do see him, I see him work out, and I get the chance to work out with him. I learn a lot from that.

Are there any perks to being LeBron James’ cousin?

I get a chance to see what a lot of people don’t see. I see the way he works and his focus and the way he thinks before games. When I was in Miami, I got to see how he focused and settled before playoff games. That’s definitely a perk.

What are some things you have learned from him?

I mean just the way he works. He has so much success already, and he still works like he has nothing. That’s something I see and learn from him.

Finally, what are some of your feelings about the season, and about the team?

I feel great about the team this year. I feel like we have great chemistry. I think it’s going to be a great year.