Tallest player on the team aims to help the inside game

Baswanth Naidu / The Sunflower

Sophomore Quincy Ballard dunks the ball during the game against Central Arkansas at Charles Koch Arena on Nov. 7.

Quincy Ballard didn’t start playing an organized game of basketball until his freshman year of high school. The now seven-foot center decided that he should give it a shot because of the size advantage he would have on the court. 

“I just started to take it seriously in like ninth grade because I was like growing three inches a year type of thing, and I was wanting to see what it was like to play organized ball,” Ballard said. 

The Syracuse, New York, native is a sophomore transfer from Florida State. He played two seasons with FSU and played in 36 games. Despite limited play time at his previous school, Ballard shot 70.8% from the field and averaged 4.6 blocks in 40 minutes of play. 

Head coach Isaac Brown said that Ballard will help the Shockers have more of a defensive presence in the paint and will protect the rim. 

“I love the way he runs the floor and finishes around the rim,” Brown said. “We’re looking forward to working with him over the next three years and continuing to expand his game.”

Ballard said that his size gives him several advantages to help the Shockers out this season. Ballard is not only seven-foot but has a seven-foot-one wingspan. 

“I really shoot over people,” Ballard said. “I’m really known for my shot block, and I can make a big impact with that as well.” 

Ballard said his goal is to ball out on the court, since he didn’t have that opportunity as much at Florida State with limited playing time. 

“Get numbers, getting a good amount of rebounds, getting a good amount of blocks,” Ballard said. “Just making a great impact from both sides of the floor.”

Ballard scored 10 points in 12 minutes for the Shockers in their home opener against Central Arkansas on Nov. 7. He also had five rebounds and two blocks. 

“It takes a defense out of everything they have,” senior point guard Craig Porter Jr. said about Ballard’s after the game against Central Arkansas. “With his size and athleticism you can honestly throw the ball anywhere you want.” 

Brown said after a solid performance in the Shockers exhibition game against Newman, Ballard earned more minutes in the home opener. 

“He has a great attitude,” Brown said. “You know he’s coming off the bench right now and he hasn’t been giving us any problems. He just come in and earn more minutes.”