Volleyball for a Cure

The Big Pink Volleyball tradition continued for the second straight year, and this year, the organizers added many more activities.

The Student Wellness Action Team, a group that promotes student health and being an active student body hosted the fundraiser Saturday. S.W.A.T. exceeded its goal of 20 teams with 22 teams. For the first time, they offered a free lunch and had a prize raffle.

“To be a part of this was just so much fun,” sophomore Paul Abromeit said. “My goal was to get 20 teams here, and I just wanted to tell everyone what S.W.A.T. was all about.”

Senior Will Howell played in the tournament.

“It’s been an absolute blast to compete,” Howell said. “It was an overall amazing experience, and I recommend this to anyone who just wants to come out and have a good time.”

The competition was exciting, but at the end of the day, the team that won last year won again. It called themselves Dean’s Scholars last year and this year named itself the Mighty Midgets.

Ryan Al-Sharia, Colton Turner, Garrett Kissell and Alex Shoemaker made up the winning team. They took the trophy home with a first place prize of cupcakes and a free class at the Heskett Center.

“This event continues to surprise, as they just continue to raise more and more money each year,” Al-Sharia said. “S.W.A.T says entries continue to go up, and they believe the sky is the limit.”