Haiti students show us the need to put education first

This summer I went to Lambert, Haiti to work at a school in an impoverished mountain-community. Many children walk for miles to get to school, and most don’t eat breakfast before they leave.

The children would come to school each day with starched clothes, ironed and spotless, with bows in their hair and smiles on their faces regardless of hunger, thirst or money.

Haitians understand the importance of education. It is vital for their future as a country, and is an escape from poverty for their children.

However, the importance of education does not end at Haiti’s borders. With recent budget cuts to higher education, education is on the backburner in Kansas.

Tuition has increased by 8 percent for Wichita State University students. An undergraduate student enrolled in 12-credit-hours will pay $2810.70 fall semester instead of $2602.50.

WSU President John Bardo has cut back on projects in order to keep costs lower for students and pay teachers a competitive salary.

An article from the Wichita Business Journal said, “State funding for higher education has continued to erode over the years and now accounts for about 22 percent of a university’s operating budget, on average. That used to be around 75 percent.”

Education is the most important renewable resource that continues to perish. People need to stop relying on government support and realize their education is their personal responsibility.

In a first world country, it is astounding our children’s education is lagging behind other countries. A report by NewsOne said one out of four Americans are not completing high school. There are also fewer students completing college.

Budget cuts are not only hard on bank balances but they influence the community’s perception of education. If the government does not think education is worth funding, than why should its citizens?

We have no excuse to not properly equip children for success. We have scholarships, grants and loans to ensure every student earn an education, if that is what they want and yet we still fall behind.

Students in Haiti lack money and opportunity, but they understand the value of education. Kansas legislators should take a couple of pointers.