Elliott School students deploy to Flint Hills

A previous version of this article inaccurately stated that the Kansas City Symphony partnered to produce the Flint Hills Media Project. The Symphony in the Flint Hills is the organizer of the annual event, and partners with the Elliott School of Communications to produce the Flint Hills Media Project.

Wichita State’s Elliott School of Communication, the Symphony in the Flint Hills and the United States Army have a lot in common this summer.

These three different organizations were involved in creating the Flint Hills Media Project.

Every year, Elliott students produce a 150-page magazine and various promotional materials centering around the Symphony in the Flint Hills concert.

The project is an annual effort between the Symphony in the Flint Hills, and the Elliott School. The Symphony in the Flint Hills organizes an annual Kansas City Symphony concert in a location of the Flint Hills.

Students travel to the location of the Symphony in the Flint Hills concert and cover the many aspects of the event through writing, photography and video.

The concert is usually held in the middle of the Tallgrass Prairie. This year, a new participant was added to the mix: the United States Army.

Fort Riley hosted this year’s event. Students had access to multiple aspects of life for the soldiers there. The Fort Riley office of the Garrison Public Affairs assisted the students in understanding the Army perspective.

“They were our best friends,” said sophomore T.J. Rigg. “They treated us with respect and made it easier for us to get our interviews.”

This was the first year sophomore Alyssa Johnson was part of the project. She attended a redeployment ceremony for soldiers returning from a nine-month tour in Afghanistan and their families.

“I can’t imagine being away from my family and loved ones for nine months,” said Johnson. “The sheer emotion of [the reunion] struck me.”

One of Rigg’s other interview opportunities was with Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback. Rigg was able to interview the governor.

“The interview was not intentional or planned at all,” said Rigg. “I just strolled right up to him after the concert, introduced myself, told him I was from Wichita State and said, ‘Hey, could you give me a quote?’”

The Flint Hills Media Project concludes this Friday as students complete their assignments. The magazine will be available in early August at symphonyintheflinthills.org.