Ndungu leads cross country to a third place finish at the Gans Creek Classic

Cheyanne Tull
The lead pack of the girls cross country meet were Miranda Dick, Peyton Pogge, Lubda Aldulaimi, Lucy Ndungu, and unattached Abeba Sullivan. Ndungu placed first with a time of 17:42.5 in the 5k.

The Wichita State women’s cross country team placed third out of 23 schools at the Gans Creek Classic in Columbia, Missouri, on Friday, Sept. 30.

Junior Lucy Ndungu led the Shockers once more, placing third individually with a new personal best 6k time of 20:41.0. Sixteenth place finisher junior Miranda Dick also set a new personal best with a 21:33.4 time.

Wichita State scored 135 points, losing out to Missouri (112 points) and Nebraska (86 points).

Also on Friday, the men’s cross country team attended the Joe Piane Notre Dame Invitational. As a team, they finished 15th out of 18 with 329 points.

The top finisher for the men was senior Jackson Caldwell, who finished 48th in the five-mile race with a time of 24:25.5.

The next race for the men’s and women’s teams is the Bradley Pink Classic on Oct. 13 in Illinois. More information on the race can be found at goshockers.com.